2013 Hike/Bike for Hospice: Celebrating 30 years of Sparrow Hospice Services!
On Sunday, September 22nd, 2013 over 300 participants joined us for a fun-filled, relaxing day at Granger Meadows Park in DeWitt to honor those who have completed life’s journey. The bike ride from Sparrow Clinton Hospital began at 8:00 am and an abundance of fun activities began at 10:00 am and continued throughout the event. Below, you are able to see the complete schedule of this years Hike for Hospice event. Please be sure to thank the sponsors who made this very special event possible! We also want to give a big thanks to the volunteers who helped throughout the event. You helped make this one of the best years yet! We are happy to announce that the Hike for Hospice brought in over $74,000 to help support hospice care for terminally ill individuals with limited or no health insurance.
|Activities and special features that were available at the Hike for Hospice:
- A petting zoo
- Inflatable bounce house
- Face paintings
- Impression 5 Children's Museum
- Animal balloons
- Marshall Music
- A special appearance by Sparty, Big Lug and Zeke the Wonderdog!
- Picket Fence Memorial and Remembrance Room.
New this year for the younger crowd, or the young at heart, was the “touch a truck”. The kids were ecstatic to see up close and sit on the various trucks/tractors we had at our event. Special thanks to all of our truck drivers who participated in "touch-a-truck!"
The Remembrance Room is a special place to remember loved ones. Many participants brought a framed photo for display. There is also the oppportunity to keep a loved one’s memory alive by purchasing a fence picket to add to next year's Picket Fence Memorial. To help celebrate the birth of Sparrow Hospice thirty years ago at Sparrow Clinton Hospital, the bike route was expanded this year. Starting at either Sparrow Clinton Hospital or Granger Meadows in DeWitt, the 40 mile round-trip route was a blast! Also, take a moment to read this heartwarming story and give your best to the Curtin family.
EVENT DAY SCHEDULE:
8:00 am - BIKE REGISTRATION: Location #1- Sparrow Clinton Hospital, 805 S. Oakland St., St. Johns, Mi 48879
10:00 am - HIKE/BIKE REGISTRATION: Location #2: Granger Meadows Park, Granger Meadows Lane, DeWitt Charter Township, MI 48906 11:30 AM - OPENING CEREMONIES-ALL PARTICIPANTS 12:00 pm - HIKE/BIKE BEGINS at Granger Meadows Park
- Bikers began their journey to Granger Meadows Park, allowing the time necessary to bike 20 miles and arrive by 11:30 for the Opening ceremony. Directions - Map of Route
- ALL Bikers were invited to join hikers on the trail, participate in the activities available at Granger Meadows, and enjoy lunch prior to their journey to Sparrow Clinton. There was SAG support and a rest stop along the way. Helmets required. Riders plan to be back to Clinton Memorial by 3pm.
- The $30 ($10 for children 5-14) Hike/Bike Registration includes a t-shirt and lunch.
- For more information or for questions, please contact Shela Dubenion-Smith at the Sparrow Foundation at 517-364-5696.
Special thanks to our generous friends who have made the 2013 Hike/Bike for Hospice possible
Presenting Circle of Life Sponsor
Bud Kouts Chevrolet
Mid-Michigan Parrot Head Club
Farm Bureau Insurance
Ron and Carol Horowitz
Azzi Jewelers (Children's Area)
ICS Marketing Services
In Memory of Charlie Poquette
White Pine Sponsor
Abraham & Gaffney, P.C.
Mint City Jammers
Norm and Julie Spalding
Tom and Michelle Wiseman